Yes. Your spouse needs you.
Not only to do the dishes, or make the bed, or pay the bills, or fix lunch, or parent the kids, or phone the vet, or pick up groceries, or clean the toilets, or fill the gas tank, or… (fill in the blank for all the daily chores).
Sure. All that stuff is good and necessary.
But there’s more…
Therefore encourage one another
and build each other up,
just as in fact you are doing.
How are you building up your spouse?
To Build Up
5 Ways your spouse needs you to Encourage:
Your spouse needs you to inspire him or her about the future. How?
- helping her or him see your future together as bright and filled with hope
- working on a plan for your future – together
Your spouse needs you to strengthen her/him using your faith in God. How?
- by responding in a God-honoring way to life’s challenges
- by being personally active in studying Scripture
Your spouse needs you to love him/her without prerequisites. How?
- by demonstrating a love which resembles Christ’s love
- by nurturing a love for each other and using your spouse’s love language*
Your spouse needs you to pray for her/him. How?
- by lifting your spouse up to God in prayer* without judgement or the desire to “fix”
- by being proactive in giving thanks to God for your spouse – in all ways.
Your spouse needs you to take action to help him/her. How?
- by supporting him or her in practical ways, without expecting a return investment
- by giving your strength, your time, your understanding and expertise—with grace
Your spouse needs you to believe in him/her.
Build him up, in his desires.
Build her up, in her view of herself.
Build him up, in his children’s hearts.
Build her up, in her role as your wife.
Build him up, in his leadership of your family.
* Resources we recommend (affiliate links)
The Power of a Praying Husband
Thankful to link with