To encourage your spouse it’s about more than words – but sometimes words are what begin the encouragement!
-> Pick your time – choose carefully. You’re sowing seeds…
Remember – it’s all in how you say them… the tone and your expression count!
(See the video & get a free PDF of these at the end of this post.)
Use these 101 phrases to encourage…
- I love you.
- Thank you.
- We have a good future together.
- I believe God put us together for a reason.
- I just prayed for you. What would you like for me to ask God for – on your behalf?
- I would like to help – what would you like me to do?
- I would like to give you a hug.
- Let’s kiss for a while.
- My arms are a great place if you want to cry for a bit.
- Everybody makes mistakes – it’s OK.
- I forgive you.
- You did the right thing.
- I’m proud of you.
- I’m sorry.
- It’s not too late.
- You are amazing. – Find a free resource for saying this – HERE! – so you can tell your spouse exactly why they’re amazing!
- Please forgive me.
- How can I make things better for you?
- It’s OK that you changed your mind – I’m with you.
- What a great idea.
- Tell me more.
- You are such a thoughtful person.
- I’m OK waiting for you – you’re worth it.
- I’m listening.
- I missed you.
- I was thinking about you and it made me smile.
- If we work together, we can do anything.
- Let’s go to bed. Together.
- What you think matters more to me than anyone else.
- I need you. Only you. Always you.
- There’s no hurry – we have time.
- I trust you.
- I would marry you all over again.
- Tomorrow will be better.
- Today is all about you – what would you like to do?
- You are a great parent. (mother/father)
- You look great.
- Let’s spend some time together.
- I admire your perseverance.
- Remember when… (insert good memory here)
- God is doing great things in your life – I’m thankful I’m here to see it.
- We don’t have to talk – let’s just sit/walk together.
- I value your opinion.
- I’m so glad you’re home.
- I won’t do that again.
- We can solve this together.
- I’m on your side.
- Thank you for working so hard.
- It’s OK to be sad.
- I believe you.
- Dinner is ready when you are.
- I want to understand what you’re saying. Please help me.
- I’m glad you had a good time with ______. I can see you’re happy.
- Let’s remember all the good stuff God has done for us…
- Let’s imagine all the good stuff that God will do for us…
- I’m here for you.
- I love how you touch me – do it some more.
- I’m glad I’m your husband/wife.
- Your hugs make my day.
- You’re such fun.
- Tell me about your day…
- Drive safely – you’re irreplaceable.
- You are a blessing for me.
- I was sure you could…
- That took a lot of courage.
- I like looking at you.
- Tell me the story behind that…
- I love how you said that!
- Let’s do what you want this weekend!
- Let me be your support.
- I like laughing together.
- You’re my best friend.
- What can I do to help you relax?
- In my eyes you’re perfect.
- I can handle it if you’re beside me.
- What you provide is enough.
- I believe you can do it.
- We don’t have to talk about it now – you tell me when you’re ready.
- Do you need some time by yourself?
- I admire how you handled that.
- I see where God is blessing you.
- Your gift means a lot to me because…
- I’m proud to wear your ring.
- Can you help me plan a way to…
- Your parents raised an awesome daughter/son.
- Let’s make a fresh start.
- Thank you for noticing. (or not noticing)
- Thank you for making it easy for me.
- You’re in my head. You’re in my heart.
- I know you’ll do the right thing even when nobody’s looking.
- I see how you’re using the talents God has given you.
- Your hard work is gonna pay off soon!
- I believe in your dream.
- Change can be good.
- I know what kind of person you are – you’re …
- Thanks for being willing to try.
- You’re not like anyone else – and that makes me happy.
- I’m excited and happy to look forward with you.
- Your words lift me up.
- As you wish.
“A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver” Proverbs 25:11
“Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.” ~ Proverbs 12:25
Here’s a video with all the phrases…
PS – these two are our son and daughter-in-love. They were married 2 years when they made this video! (Now they’re married almost 10 years, and have two children. If you’re interested to see more of our family, check out our Instagram.) Our daughter-in-love made an interesting comment after filming this video… she reported that eventhough the words were scripted, after saying these phrases to each other (50 each), it created such a wonderful, overwhelming feeling of love for each other…
Download a free PDF of these phrases – click HERE
(Just put a zero – $0 – in the box.)
I love this! And it’s amazing how keeping this kind of talk frequent even makes me love my husband more, and because he’s doing it too, I also feel so encouraged. It makes for such a great atmosphere. Thanks for sharing these good ideas, and I love how they are not just directed at a husband or at a wife. 😀
Thanks, Bethany – so happy you stopped by and commented! As we enter this season of “doing” that’s Thanksgiving & Christmas, keeping our words positive and affirmative is really important for a peaceful atmosphere. Soon I’ll be posting a video of our son and daughter-in-love saying these phrases to each other (the video is still being edited) and talking about their experience as they recorded the video… Stay tuned!
This is wonderful! My husband I just celebrated our 31st anniversary, and had an amazing week together, one on one, in Williamsburg, VA! We are a “second chance” couple and I appreciate this encouraging message to pass on to our two daughters. One has been married for years, and the other is not yet married. I think I will try to print this out and give to them. It is a gift for any marriage or future bride! We need inspiration everyday and I’m blessed with facebook friends who share the blessings!
Awesome – 31 years together – CONGRATULATIONS!
I’m just in the midst of creating a PDF of these phrases – something pretty to post on a ‘fridge. I’ll put it up tomorrow so you can download it…
(ps. Williamsburg is one of Robert and my favorite places to go to ‘plan’ and just spend time together. There’s nothing better than one-on-one time with your spouse!)